Modernism's Last Stand - part 2

Last Stand, Caplin Cove, #2, o/p, Steven Rhude


This is a second version of the same fishing shed depicted previously from above Caplin Cove. As a subject for painting, it continues to convey something of a mystery for me. It is a rectangular structure containing the stretcher bar traits of the painter's canvas, it's conduciveness to apply abstract notations from modernist painters like Mondrian are apparent as the facade reveals a grid like pattern. And like abstraction - it is at once an impediment, and yet, also attainable in passage, a symbol for reinforcing flatness, and a vehicle for the illusion of depth.

Upon first encountering the shed, I at once desired to distinguish a balance between the outside and inside world it has by design, over laid for me. As a structure it both prevents and allows me passage. With that in mind a wide range of meaning forms the intent. On the one hand it is utilitarian, on the other, a proto- modernist object. A place of revelation, and one of concealment; an abstraction, and in turn, an individual.

But these are just my interpretations. What I experience stands far from the politicisation of an art movement by agencies intent on colonisation. True, I see the history of the propagandist's fatalities, but they fail me now as the object provides a new kind of orientation. As a particular shed, I strike up a kinship with the structure. It becomes characteristic of my act of painting with its flat surfaces and topographical rational - its illusion of depth. I go into the shed and look out. Evidence of forcible entry and vandalising are apparent as the dwelling has deteriorated. Notwithstanding this, I realise that I can extend the traditional use of the structure by violating it in another way; by imposing and thus extending the shed's range of meaning. I'm reminded of the word's of Duchamp: "to take a point of departure, as ... I used a brush, or I used a form, a specific form of expression. The way oil paint is, a very specific term, specific conception." [1]


1- from an unpublished interview with Harriet Janis, 1953. See Marcel Duchamp ed. Anne d'Harnoncourt and Kynaston McShine, New York: The Museum of Modern Art, 1973, p. 295



Steven Rhude, Wolfville, NS  



   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing through Dildo and toponyms to remember

The Saving of Everett Lewis

What really happened in Marshalltown?