House of Ore, (part two)

Bell Island #2 (Iron Ore Car), 24" x 24", o/p, Steven Rhude


"Mining is an interesting job, you know. You gotta learn something. First going in the mines, one morning, going back when I was a boy, it struck my mind, good god, if I'm going to have to come down here every day for the rest of my life. And it got so bad I had a mind to jump off and go home. And if I had, I'd never had gone down there anymore. But then you forget that, and you finally get to a spot when you know, this is what's to be. Because we got laid off in 1922, bunch of young men and I went to a coal mine, I had no job, I got hired on the first thing. But there's certain things you learn. You must never take a gamble on it. I saw too many accidents of good men. A lot of accidents happened that never should have happened, just because, well, take a chance. That's one thing you cannot do underground, take a chance." - Eric Luffman

From: The Wabana Iron Ore Miners of Bell Island, Conception Bay, Newfoundland: Their Occupational Folklife and and Oral Folk History - Gail Weir

  
Minin
is
an
"'.uteresting
job,
you
know.
You
gotta
learn
something.
First
go
in

in
the
mines,
one
morning,
going
back
when
I

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Passing through Dildo and toponyms to remember

The Saving of Everett Lewis

What really happened in Marshalltown?